What is Hand Rehabilitation?
Hand therapy is a rehabilitation specialty that focuses on tissue manipulation and healing of the hand and arm to increase skill and strength as needed for individual activities such as daily living, employment tasks, and personal hobbies. Protection of ligaments, joints, tendons and nerves is essential throughout the rehabilitation process. Adaptive equipment and splints may be utilized to maximize function and safety.
Because of the intricacies of hand design, communication among patient, therapist, and physician is imperative and a priority for optimal recovery. Patient education leading to self management is stressed.
What Conditions Can be Treated?
- Amputations/Digit Replantation
- Burns & Open Wounds
- Carpal Tunnel
- Complex Regional Pain Syndromes
- Dupytren’s Disease
- Ganglion Cyst
- Nerve Compression Syndromes
- Spacticity / Contractures Following Stroke
- Tendon & Nerve Lacerations
What Treatments May Be Included in Hand Therapy?
- Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Compression Wraps or Garments
- Coordination and Endurance Training
- Fine Motor Coordination Orthotics/Dexterity Skills
- Functional Exercise
- Job Simulation
- Joint Mobilization
- Muscle Re-Education
- Posture Training
- Sensory Education/Protection
- Custom Fabricated Upper Extremity
- Wound Care & Dressings
Our Hand Therapy Team
- Lori Snodgrass, OTR/L, CHT, CEIM
- Marisa Salmeri, MS, OTR, CHT
- Chrissy Machielson, PT, DPT, OCS, COMT, CHT, CBFE
Why Choose Rehabilitation with a Certified Hand Therapist?
To become a CHT, a Physical or Occupational Therapist must have a minimum of three years experience in general rehabilitation , complete 4,000 hours treating upper extremity hand conditioning, and must pass a national certification exam. This specialty certification must be renewed every five years by completing specific continuing education requirements and documenting successful ongoing therapy services specific to hand, arm and upper quadrant extremity injuries.
For more information, contact one of our Certified Hand Therapist,
- Lori Snodgrass, OTR/L, CHT.
- Marisa Salmeri, OTR/L, CHT.
- Chrissy Machielson, PT, DPT, COMT, CHT, OCS.
To schedule an appointment, contact our Central Scheduling Department at (260) 209-2464.